About
This blog is meant to record my readings and reflections from books. It is amazing how much books can teach or speak into your life!

Currently reading...
my own writings.. ;)

Reading list
Mister God, this is Anna
A Little Princess (thx FK!)
more Coelho's books
Tony Parson's books

Archives
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
August 2005
September 2005
November 2005
October 2008
July 2011

Credits
Blogger
Blogskins
Layout


Wednesday, August 03, 2005

May I proudly announce that I finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four! Boy, it was no easy feat. It feels like I am digging the ground. At first, the soil is still loose on the top, and things are just starting to take shape, just like the hole I am digging. 1984 reminds me of Animal Farm, with the similitude between Big Brother and Napolean. Later, the soil becomes more packed, and therein lies some gravel and small stones which get in the way of the spade. And the stones get larger, and the digging is decidedly slowed down. Every deepening inch gets harder to achieve. If one can get this mental picture, one can imagine the mental suffering, that of endurance required, to pull through until the very end of the book.

The text within 1984, as purportedly written by Goldstein (another character that resembles Snowball in Animal Farm), is horrible medicine. I read and gain some understanding as to how the world was then in 1984, yet I read and gain nowt about why the world was like that. Even the later part when O'Brien explained it, I still missed the point, or rather I can't quite accept it. I have dug my way to the core of the book, only to find that the molten state is unchangeable. And the ending is unbearable as well, for Winston to have his fate like those who did what he had done.

On a shorter note, I've read Kafka's The Metamorphosis. It carries with it the same unchangeability nature. I wish George Samsa could return to his previous state, even after he had died. That, too, did not happen.


posted by lil piggie at 1:16 AM

~~~*~~~